Search This Blog

Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Daddy Sound

I heard the "Daddy Sound,"
the reassuring, comfort sound
he, and only he, could make
to which I often fell asleep.


It was an evening sound,
an after-bedtime sound,
which sometimes I could hear,
and knew I was protected.



It was his sound, and his alone;
rough, rhythmic, brushing.
It was a magic part of childhood,
a special moment I could hear.



I grew up, moved away and married,
began a family of my own,
and forgot the comfort of
the "Daddy Sound."



Then one ordinary day,
after relaxing shower,
I calmly thoughtfully scratched myself
and heard a buried memory:


The "Daddy Sound" from long ago.
Stunned in shock, I stood
and realized what I'd heard
and treasured all those years.


That special, magic sound, so comforting,
was mundane, simple - and somewhat crude.
My father was simply, leisurely -
scratching his hairy behind.


Read more: http://www.inspirational-poems.net/parents-poems/427-the-daddy-sound#ixzz1GWwEo7El

No comments:

Post a Comment